Harvey Weinstein to Face Third Trial in New York After Mistrial
- The New York Editorial Desk - Arif

- Aug 13
- 2 min read
Tone & Political Bias: Center-Leaning
Why: The coverage presents factual legal updates without framing Weinstein’s case in a partisan political context, focusing on court proceedings and timelines.

Judge Orders Third Trial in Jessica Mann Case
Harvey Weinstein, the former Hollywood producer whose downfall helped ignite the #MeToo movement, will face a third trial in New York over allegations from former actor Jessica Mann.
Judge Curtis Farber said on Wednesday that he wants the retrial to begin before the end of 2025. The case stems from a rape charge the jury could not decide on during Weinstein’s retrial this summer.
Outcome of June Retrial
In June, a jury:
Convicted Weinstein of sexually assaulting former “Project Runway” production assistant Miriam Haley in 2006.
Acquitted him of sexually assaulting Polish former runway model Kaja Sokola in the same year.
Could not reach a verdict on the charge involving Mann, leading to a mistrial.
Sentencing Delayed Until Retrial
Weinstein’s sentencing for the Haley conviction is scheduled for September 30, but Judge Farber said it will not happen until the Mann case is resolved. This means sentencing could be delayed unless Weinstein pleads guilty, prosecutors drop the charge, or the trial concludes before that date.
Jury Deadlock and Mistrial
During deliberations, tensions rose among jurors. The jury foreman reported to the court that disagreements were escalating and alleged that another juror threatened him. The foreman refused to continue deliberations on the Mann charge, prompting prosecutors to request a mistrial.
Weinstein’s Defense
Weinstein, 73, denies all charges. His legal team argued during the retrial that the encounters with the three women were consensual and “transactional,” portraying the accusers as seeking personal gain.
Legal History in New York
Weinstein was first convicted in New York in 2020 of rape and criminal sexual acts and sentenced to 23 years in prison. That conviction was overturned last year by the state Court of Appeals, which ruled that the trial judge improperly allowed testimony from women whose allegations were not directly part of the case. This reversal led to the retrial held this summer.
Los Angeles Conviction
Weinstein was also convicted in Los Angeles in 2022 for sexual assault and sentenced to 16 years in state prison. He is currently appealing that verdict.
Current Custody Status
Weinstein remains in custody at New York’s Rikers Island jail and has been frequently hospitalized for health issues.
Significance to #MeToo Movement
Weinstein’s 2020 sentencing was considered a landmark moment for the #MeToo movement, marking a high-profile conviction in a wave of sexual misconduct allegations against powerful men in entertainment, politics, and business.



Comments