Gavin Newsom Sues Fox News for $787 Million Over Defamation Claim
- The New York Editorial Desk - Arif

- Jun 27
- 3 min read
California governor demands retraction over broadcast claim on Trump phone call
Tone & Political Bias: Moderately Left-Leaning
Why: The article gives substantial space to Newsom’s claims and critiques of Fox News, referencing past controversies involving the network. Fox’s rebuttal is included, but the framing largely aligns with Newsom’s narrative.

The Lawsuit
California Governor Gavin Newsom has filed a defamation lawsuit against Fox News, seeking over $787 million in damages. The suit targets host Jesse Watters, who, during a June 10 broadcast, accused Newsom of lying about a phone conversation with Donald Trump.
Newsom claims the segment was intentionally misleading and part of a larger pattern of misinformation. The case was filed in Delaware Superior Court — the same jurisdiction where Dominion Voting Systems sued Fox over election-related lies in 2023.
What Watters Said On Air
During the June 10 episode of Jesse Watters Primetime, Watters questioned why Newsom would deny speaking with Trump, stating on air: “Why would Newsom lie and claim Trump never called him?” At the bottom of the screen, a graphic read: “Gavin Lied About Trump’s Call.”
Newsom had posted earlier that day on X (formerly Twitter) that “there was no call,” directly contradicting Trump’s own remarks to reporters, where he claimed to have spoken to Newsom “a day ago.”
Timeline of the Phone Call Dispute
The controversy centers on conflicting accounts about a call regarding protests in Los Angeles. On June 6, Newsom reportedly spoke with Trump late at night. He later accused Trump of misrepresenting the conversation.
However, on June 10, Trump claimed they spoke just a day earlier. Newsom then publicly denied any recent call, calling Trump a “stone-cold liar.” The timeline became national news, culminating in Watters’ segment that sparked the lawsuit.
Newsom’s Legal Argument
Newsom’s legal team accuses Fox of "blatantly unethical" conduct and argues that the network prioritizes partisan propaganda over truth. The complaint draws parallels between this incident and Fox’s broader editorial record, citing the Dominion lawsuit as precedent.
The governor's lawyers sent a formal letter demanding a retraction and on-air apology, warning that without one, they would move forward with a jury trial.
Fox News Responds
Fox News responded strongly, calling the lawsuit a “transparent publicity stunt” meant to suppress critical speech. The network said it would defend the case vigorously and expects it to be thrown out. Despite their denial of wrongdoing, the case puts Fox under renewed scrutiny over its editorial practices, less than two years after its record settlement with Dominion.
The Political Backdrop
The lawsuit comes amid escalating tensions between Newsom and Trump, particularly over federal intervention in California. As protests broke out in Los Angeles in response to Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) raids, Trump activated U.S. Marines and federalized the National Guard.
Newsom condemned the move as “purposefully inflammatory,” arguing there was no need for federal troops and that state agencies were managing the situation.
Broader Implications
The case is emblematic of a wider political battle over media accountability and disinformation. Newsom’s legal strategy mirrors that of Trump allies, who have used the courts to challenge media narratives. By turning this approach against Fox News, Newsom may be attempting to set a new precedent for public officials confronting what they view as politically motivated media attacks.



Comments